Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Assignment 6: Kids Meal Package Design for Target

For our final assignment in Package Design we are designing packaging for kid's meals. We drew, randomly, different venues. I got the store Target. I'm pretty excited about this choice.  Target has a well established brand and their logo in unmistakable. Red and white give me a good starting point for colors and I have the circles and target to work from. I began this project with research first.  I don't shop at Target that much so I'm not very familiar with the food they serve at the front.  All I know is that they serve hot dogs.
I included some pictures of the Target dog in my research. He could be a lot of fun to incorporate into my packaging. All kids love dogs and it's a great way to make my package kid friendly.

I  found this really cool neon sign of the Target dog. This particular sign in located at Target Field in Minnesota. Target Field is a baseball stadium.


 I just had to include this picture of the dog in a cart. It's just too adorable!

The name of the Target dog mascot is Bullseye, but he's also known as Spot. Bullseye is a Bull Terrier. The original Target dog's name was Smudgie, and I thought that was interesting.  I also found it interesting that the dogs used in most campaigns are female, but are used to portray a male character.




From some short research online I found that the Target cafe offers three choices in kids meals.  These include hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, and chicken nuggets. Below are pictures of their Nutritional Guide with all of the foods and beverages they offer.
They show a snack list, which I suppose doubles as the side menu. On this list is popcorn, nachos, french fries, carrots and ranch, apples and caramel, sea salt pita chips with hummus, and yogurt parfait. They offer classic sides, as well as, some healthier choices.
The seemingly kid friendly beverages they offer are soft beverages, icee's, milk, chocolate milk, smoothies, and hot chocolate. The chart doesn't give the nutritional information for anything smaller than a 12 oz. drink so I'm not sure if they offer smaller kid sizes or not.
On their treat, or dessert menu, they have cookies, brownies, marshmallow crispys, chocolate peanut butter crispys, cheddar pretzels, and several other pretzel choices.




They played off of the circular target shape on their cup and popcorn bag packaging.





I know I want to use the dog on the packaging, and I had the idea to make a mask part of the box. You can then take it apart and you have a mask that is of course Bullseye.  This Burger King box is a good example of a removable/wearable piece of the box.



I was looking at the ways others have put animals faces on boxes. I thought these were pretty interesting.

If I have a handle on my box I could make it into a dog bone.
After doing some research I started on my word list and sketches. I have a lot of things about dogs and box shape ideas on my list. I want to make a box that really fits with my idea of incorporating a mask into it.



While toying with the idea of doing a dog mask as part of the box I came across some origami dogs. So, I could do that instead of include it along with the mask. I could also just include an origami dog diagram on the side of the package.

I want to stick with the brands primary colors as the focal point.  I want to add some bright accent colors and make the box more kid friendly.  I really like these blues with the red.  It's bright, but not too harsh like most kid friendly things that just use the primary colors.


While trying to figure out what container would work best I decided to do a quick illustration.  I thought this would help determine what size and shape box is necessary for the mask. Not sure if it will be a full mask or just be the eyes and ears.  If I keep the ears this large I may need to just keep it short even though the nose is so cute.


This is the current version of the mask for my design.

I did some more research on my brand and discovered that the logo was only changed once.  This is the first original logo.  They simplified it a bit.


I put this on here because I really liked the way they integrated the negative space of the penguin with the logo.


This is the template I mocked up for my kids meal.  

I made a simple maze using the Target logo for the side of my kids meal.

I decided that my packaging needed another illustration of the dog besides the mask. I also put a hotdog in his mouth to bring in the food aspect of this box.

They use so much red in their store and rarely bring in other colors that I wanted to do something different. I wanted it to be eye catching and kid friendly, but not overwhelming. I thought this blue was a nice compromise. It compliments the red well and doesn't disrupt the identity of the brand. I added some target logo circles to add some pattern and texture.


This is my panel with the mask.


This is the front panel of my box with an illustration of Bullseye with a hotdog in his mouth.



A kids meal will come with a hotdog and I created this hotdog container.

 I wanted to have a cookie that looks like the Target logo and I created this box for the cookie.
Here is my billboard advertising my kids meal.




















https://phantasticphans.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/814-frontenac-state-park-target-field-minnesota-twins-vs-detroit-tigers/
http://pixshark.com/target-bullseye-dog-logo.htm
http://www.d-mom.com/target-cafe-nutritional-information-brochure/
https://ws.elance.com/file/Food-310_REV.jpg?crypted=Y3R4JTNEcG9ydGZvbGlvJTI2ZmlkJTNENDkxMTQ2NjElMjZyaWQlM0QtMSUyNnBpZCUzRDQyODk4MTQ=
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3825/9250962627_3cf74c1a0b_b.jpg
http://thetrendguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/target-popcorn.jpg
http://urbanchristiannews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BK-kidsmeal.jpg
http://www.delisupplies.co.uk/images/detailed/2/aussie-animals-meal-box.jpg
http://www.doorigami.com/dog-origami.html
http://design-seeds.com/
www.corporate.target.com
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1151936004_1/Retro-Zakka-Style-Square-Box-Template-Gift-box-Maker-DIY-Manual-stencil-mould-make-Lover-s.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Their current kid-meal options leave a lot of room for improvement! Excellent brand research, illustration style direction and mask concept. Make sure the name of your meal is truly a brand extension (Your wordlist should include Target/archer terms.) that addresses the small/petit/kid factor and is also appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. would you happen to have the assignment sheet for this? I would love to do this for my class

    ReplyDelete
  3. would you happen to have the assignment sheet for this? I would love to do this for my class

    ReplyDelete